Subject: Re: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:52:51 -0800

Kit,

The Arnaud Amaury, the Papal Legate and Abbot of Citeaux, directed the
seige
of Beziers in July of 1209 as part of the Albigentsian Crusade. The
Catholic
Bishop of Beziers had refused a demand to give up the Cathar heretics
within
the town. Thereupon the crusaders' general, Simon de Montfort, took the
town
and asked Amaury how to distinguish between the heretics and the
faithful,
for
the Lord will know his own." De Montfort then killed every living being
in
Beziers -- some reports say 60,000 souls -- before burning the city and
reducing it to rubble.