Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:09:32 -0800

Eric,

No matter what, if you rely on each and every news piece to be perfect,
you are asking too much of human beings. News is called history on the
run for a reason. They are running to get it in! It's partially the
fault of the owners because:

1) They don't staff media outlets adequately to take the time to do
news properly.

2) They don't pay well - in fact in the U.S. journalism students are
THE WORST paid college graduates. Why do you think I'm not doing it any
more? It was the best job I ever had!

3) It's physically impossible to get everything right without peer
review. We do it where I work, and after weeks and weeks and months and
months of reviews, it's still not perfect.

That's where this quote tells "the truth" we all need to understand
when we pick up a newspaper:

"The theory of a free press is that truth will emerge from free
discussion, not that it will be presented perfectly and instantly in
any one account." -- Walter Lippmann

That is, you have to continually be consuming news if you want to get
the facts. You can't just read it in dribs and drabs and expect to be
well-infomed.

That ran on the masthead of every copy of my employer's paper in Grants
Pass, Oregon and on their web page. I've never forgotten it.

On Nov 19, 2003, at 2:52 PM, Eric wrote:

>  So yes, unfortunately, we do stumble
> around in the dark about topics of which we don't know.  I treat all
> news
> items as editorial/opinion pieces.  In the end, that's what they are

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day. - Will Rogers.

Message from =?windows-1252?Q?RUBEN_BL=C6DEL?= <ruben@rhodos.dk> (Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)
Message from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)