Subject: Re: [Leica] Flare-resistant Leica wide angle lenses
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:21:37 -0800

Therein lies the rub. And the R gives you a much better chance to
correct distortion and keystoning errors as well. I much prefer using
SLRs for ultra-wide lenses. I found my latest generation 19mm 2.8 to be
pretty flare-free for what it is.

OTOH, shooting wide open, there isn't anything like a good ASPH lens
from the M line. Seems to me the form should follow the function here.
If you're shooting architecture, you should use the R lenses. If
you're shooting people on the street, the M is a better choice most of
the time. R for compositional accuracy, and M for quick shooting and
wide open in low light.

On Nov 26, 2003, at 7:54 PM, Martin Krieger wrote:

> In actual experience, which wide-angle lenses (for M, for R) are most
> flare-resistant? I often am photographing against the sun or it is
> oblique,
> and, even using a lens shade, will have glancing light... Which of the
> wide-angle lenses is most resistant to veiling flare? (Are there
> equally
> good or better lenses from other manufacturers for their cameras?)
> I use an R8, but was thinking that if an M lens were much better I
> would
> think about shifting. With an SLR you can often see the problem in the
> viewfinder.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen, philosophers, and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson