Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:37:51 +0000

This may be heretical but IMO digital rivals film already for most uses
where extreme enlargements are not required. I now use a Canon 10D in
preference to my M6 which went everywhere with me for the last 10+
years. I much prefer the Leica to use but I now chose the Canon instead.
I don't know whether the quality of 10x8 or even 5x4 will be equalled
by digital but all the evidence is that to do so one will not need a
sensor of equal size.
A 24x35 digital sensor is not needed to improve on 24x36 film, though
it is necessary if one wants the same DoF effects and angle of view
from the lenses.
Just MHO.
Frank