Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:45:29 -0800

grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> Chris
>
> Unfortunately new Leica glass is out of the question right now.  I am
> looking for a WA, probably a 35mm Summicron.  I have found a mid to late
> first generation Summicron, sn#206xxx, for a decent price, but on the other
> hand for the same money I could get the 35/1.7 CV and another CV lens.  I
> am split 50/50 right now on the decision.  The CV lenses have gotten great
> reviews both here and other places, but from what I can tell all of the 35
> Summicrons are excellent choices also.  Maybe someone here can help me by
> giving me some info...How are the old Summicrons on flare and also how are
> the CV lenses in this same respect?  I guess one thing positive for getting
> the Summicron is that I just happen to have a hood for one. ;-)  Eventually
> I will buy new Leica glass when I can afford it.
>
> Gene

Depends what you mean by "afford it."
Blowing money on Cosina glass now certainly puts off when you can afford
the Leica glass.

I've bought one Leica lens each year roughly speaking each year for the
last 10 years.
If I'd gone shopping in March I'd not been able to get the Leica glass
but have had to get the Cosina or Nikon for my Nikons. THat's what i
could "afford" then. ...or Olympus for my Olympus Pen half frame. And so
other cameras I play around with.

And then when December rolls around then I'd not been able to afford the
Leica lens I'd had my eye on in January.

I think we can "afford" what we think is worth affording.

For me I can afford to wait and then shoot with the best glass there is
which for me is Leica glass although Zeiss glass for Hasselblad's is
right close in there certainly.
That's just how i work it for me. At least the past decade.
I think for some of us "afford it" means we don't get a continuous flow
of glass coming in during the year to brighten up our Month or Season. I
didn't get that last decade. I just got the big payoff at the end of the
year. My yearly Leica brightening.
To the effect.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA