Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 07:59:46 -0500

just out of curiosity, as a professional business owner/photographer,
when you consider a new lens, do you do a return on investment analysis, i.
e., what jobs you can take with the new lens you could not without it, or
how much more you chould presumably charge for the extra quality, etc?  of is
it just an act of pure emotion?

- -rei

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:45:29PM -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I've bought one Leica lens each year roughly speaking each year for the
> last 10 years.
> If I'd gone shopping in March I'd not been able to get the Leica glass
> but have had to get the Cosina or Nikon for my Nikons. THat's what i
> could "afford" then. ...or Olympus for my Olympus Pen half frame. And so
> other cameras I play around with.
>
> And then when December rolls around then I'd not been able to afford the
> Leica lens I'd had my eye on in January.
>
> I think we can "afford" what we think is worth affording.
>
> For me I can afford to wait and then shoot with the best glass there is
> which for me is Leica glass although Zeiss glass for Hasselblad's is
> right close in there certainly.
> That's just how i work it for me. At least the past decade.
> I think for some of us "afford it" means we don't get a continuous flow
> of glass coming in during the year to brighten up our Month or Season. I
> didn't get that last decade. I just got the big payoff at the end of the
> year. My yearly Leica brightening.
> To the effect.
>
> Mark Rabiner
> Portland, Oregon USA