Subject: RE: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:04:56 -0700

>> I have the same recollection that the developer was late coming out of
the
>> gate. That in itself is nothing new with Kodak.
>> Speaking of developers, I even tried Microphen and Microdol with T-max. I
>> can't remember the exact results, but I do remember being very
> disappointed.<<
>
> I believe that was the case as I'm sure the first few rolls I tried were
> souped in D76 1:1 before the Tmax developer was available. Besides D76 1:1
> had been standard dev in the darkroom for about 20 years.

As I recall, Kodak developed T-Max film using D-76 and that was originally
intended to be the standard developer for it. The T-Max developer - despite
its name, wasn't originally intended for general use with T-Max film - and
D76 still works better with it.

I used to have a paper on this somewhere written by the people who developed
T-Max film  at Kodak - but it seems to have disappeared for now. I think
John Sexton - who was involved in testing the films during development -
makes mention of it somewhere as well.

tim

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.)