Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:00:32 -0800

As I remember it the 100 came out first and it was so called replacement
for my favorite film Panatomic X ASA 32 the negatives of which when i
print now are an unbelievable delight.

Less then a year later the 400 came out and everyone freaked out you
really had to rate it at 320 or not get your shadows but you over
exposed it by any amount at all you might as well forget it. Oh and if
your developer is off by one degree in temperature your negatives will
either require a 0 or 5 filter. So don't panic folks.

Then the P 3200 came out which was 1600 in any other developer but T-Max
developer and probably other Phenidone develops like HC-110 and Acufine,
Microphen (which is Phenidone D76 or Ilfords ID-11B), certainly Diafine,
both of which gave results otherwise that nobody I knew cared much for.
It turned out "P" stood for "push" which meant that 3200 was the speed
you get when you push the film. I settled for 1600 and developers i was
more used to using.
Why not put  "P800" on a box of Tri X and call it the speed you get if
you push the film!

Why not say the car goes J180 miles an hour - J stands for the jet
engine you mount on the roof for 50 grand extra!

HC-110 was (or is) grainier than D76 1:1 but a lot more sharp (less sulfite)
	My problem with it was tonal separation and an over all dull look no
matter what you did with it. Metol conks out during agataion cycles and
thus makes for nice edge effects Phenidon keeps working straight through
so it's like you forgot to unsharp mask your scan.

So yes I think it was after the 3200 or TMZ that the developer came out
and partially to justify the 3200 number on the new box. Not my cup of
reducing agent.

I think Ansel told Sexton or who ever to go down and run the film in
thier ultra high dilution of HC-110 and he pulled out the hidden stash
of Pyro when he got down there!

However Ansel might have looked upon that with dis stain!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

No Archive