Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Fest Music NOW LIGHT.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:38:30 -0800

Luc Bourgeois said
Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Fest Music

> Very nicely said Ted,
> Reminds me of what Cartier-Bresson said about flash photography. He
> said using a flash was like 'slapping the water before you put your
> fishing rod in'.
> There's usually always enough good light when it's interesting light,
> don't you find?
>
> And I really like your comment about enjoying what you're seeing. One
> of the wonderful gifts of photography: being there.<<

Bonjour Luc mon ami,
Merci for your kind comments.:-)

I've never seen that Cartier Bresson comment about the "flash and slapping
the water" before, but I'll remember it for sure as it's a great
description. ;-)

> And I really like your comment about enjoying what you're seeing. One
> of the wonderful gifts of photography: being there.<<

One of the things I've learned as a photographer there are times when the
light is so beautiful it's wonderful to just look at it and enjoy for what
it's doing.  There may not be a picture or there might be, but in reality
it's beautiful just to enjoy what you are looking at as a gift from Mother
Nature, even if you can't take or make a picture out of the situation.

It's a part of evolving to be a better photographer by learning to
appreciate light and what effects it has at varying times of the day. I've
said for years, if one is serious in learning about light and it's use in
photography they should get up before sunrise and watch it happen!

And that's the beginning of learning to see how light does it's magic and
once you've learned to see it and it's varying effects, it'll be the magic
of your picture taking for life.

ted