Subject: Re: [Leica] Summaron 3,5/35mm
From: BenMarks@aol.com
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:03:24 -0500

César:

On-line posts of photographs are only so helpful (maybe not helpful at all), but here goes.  The following two URLs are photo.net posts of mine of pictures taken with  an M3 and the 35/3.5 Summaron on Ilford Delta 400 developed in Ilford ID-11 1:1.  Pictures are taken indoors handheld with the lens wide open.  You can see some veiling flare in the the pictures as they are shot against windows (which were the main light source in the room). Focus is, I think, acceptably sharp, but I agree with Henning's comment in that flare would probably be better controlled with a modern lens (even the CV 35/1.7 which is a fine performer in its own right).

I have also used this lens with Kodak's T400CN (not a film, in my experience, famous for great contrast or sharpness -- reads like a color film which is scanned and desaturated) and I had results that I liked.

If it is possible to shoot a roll of film with the lens you are interested in and inspect the results before purchasing you should have a good idea of what you are getting into.  I have not been able to part with mine, despite subsequent acquisition of a 35/2 Summicron (1980's vintage), CV 35/1.7 Ultron, a CV 35/1.2 Nockton and a current 35/2 Asph (which I absolutely love, love, love)(yeah, I know, it is too many 35mm lenses, but I love the FOV, what can I say?)

best regards,

Ben Marks