Subject: [Leica] On making Art
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:16:04 -0500

Hi Phong:

 > Art is an expression of our feelings, among other things. <

Okay so far as it goes, but consider this definition:

Art is the expression of an emotion through a technique.

Most would say, -through a valid technique.  But what is valid to one
person may not be to another.  The oil coloring described in Tina's post
must have been valid to the instructor but surely wasn't to Tina.

The technique can be drawing and painting, sculpture, photography, etc.,
but it can also be things such as dance, poetry, weaving and in some
cases being silly... as in a "live" installation.

What makes any of it great art is acceptance as such, by a broad range
of people.

Art is really "a la carte", pick what you like, try something new,
and/or complain about everything else... which is what we've been doing.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com