Subject: Re: [Leica] #$@%$^ art photographers
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:19:51 EST

In a message dated 12/8/03 11:36:11 PM, pklein@2alpha.net writes:

<< The revolutionaries of the early-mid 20th century knew what they were
rebelling against.  I'm not sure many post-1960s artists do.  It is one
thing (and, I think a good thing) to say that content dictates form.  It is
quite another to say that lack of form dictates content.  It is a good
thing to do something new and different.  It is quite another to do
something completely incoherent, guided only by libido, ego and
self-indulgence, and claim that anyone who doesn't like it is an ignorant
Phillistine. >>

Incoherent to whom?  This thread started with someone complaining about
images that were fantastical/not based in reality, but not incoherent.  And what's
more, what's wrong with libido driving art?  You Luggers do have sex in
between using Leicas don't you?  No one on this list is driven by ego?  And
self-indulgence?  Good god, this is a LEICA list.  How much more self indulgent can a
group get?

Who knows what art is.  It's kinda like pornography in the the viewer knows
it when they see it.  But art is art to different people.  Some folks think
photography isn't an artform, that it's more an exercise in technological
craftsmanship.  Some people think that the only valid artform of photography emerges
from the temple cult of realism....whatever the hell that is.

I don't know the definition of art photography.  Maybe the broadest
definition of art photography is any aspect of photography that isn't documentary or
realistic.   But however one choses to define it,  I do know that indulgence,
vapid imagery and empty mission statements isn't just limited to that realm that
dares to push the definition of what photography is or has been.  Be real.
There are a goodly number of "traditional" photographers who fall into the same
hollowness as those in the "art" realm.

Personally, I don't care either for those who call themselves artists and who
are merely intellectual masterbaters, all gimmick and no craftsmanship or
content.   On the other hand, with all due respect, if one is seemingly unable to
see beyond the tip of their nose as it relates to other ways of seeing and
reflecting the world, then if not a Philistine, one certainly might be
rightfully perceived as narrow-minded.

Kim

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] #$@%$^ art photographers)