Subject: Re: [Leica] On making Art
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:55:27 EST

In a message dated 12/9/03 2:45:42 PM, tim@KairosPhoto.com writes:

<<
>Art is the expression of an emotion through a technique.

I don't think the expression of emotion is an absolute requirment for art? >>

As far as I know, there is no literal translation for the word "art" in any
of the Native American tribes that I'm familiar with.   It's likely because the
current construct of "art" didn't really exist in the
social/cultural/economic structure of traditional Native American tribes.  It's not that beautiful or
highly crafted items didn't exist, it's just that they weren't traditionally
made as items of commerce or intellectualism.  I forget which tribe he was
from, but when I at an All Nations political gathering  I met a man who gave me
the best and nearest translation for what "art" was amongst his people.   They
called it "a prayer made visible."

myself, I'm kinda stuck on that definition.

Kim

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] On making Art)
Reply from Leo W Wesson <lwwesson@pier1.com> (Re: [Leica] On making Art)