Subject: Re: [Leica] Irwin and PhotoDo Will Only Lead You Into The Wilderness
From: "Keith R. Wessel" <keith@wbalaw.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:49:50 -0600

I understand exactly what you are saying here re: "I absolutely hate this
"which lens is highest quality" shtick."

I joined this group about two days ago after running a google search because
I wanted some insight into buying some Leica equipment.

Now I think I should quit my job so that I can spend my time enjoying this
discussion.  I am a man raised in the sixties (HS 1971) and became very
interested in egalitarian politics during the women's liberation movement
and then as I moved on to photograph George McGovern where all of my
superiors were women.  I went on to spend 10 years on the board of Madison
NOW and have very much enjoyed the discussion on the thin line between art
and pornography.  I did get an undergraduate degree in fine art somewhere
along the way.  I also really enjoy the links to the photographs on the this
list.

Way back when, I bought an M3, a Minolta 40mm  a nice 90 mm tele emarit and
a junk 50mm f2.    Back then I had all the time in the world to take
photographs but only the money to really afford Nikon.

Now, I am in a new career and have some money to buy a Leica lens or two --
maybe even an M4 or M6.  As I look at "the auction" site, I note everything
costs about the same.  As such, will anyone here help me sort out whether or
not it is worth spending an extra $200 or $300 to get a 35mm f2 with ASHP
late edition versus getting a 1969 version?  Any suggestion what I should
look for?  I want a nice 35mm and a 50mm.

Thanks,

Keith