Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 06:16:40 -0800

JCB wrote:

> Tmax works best, as Ted says, with vigorous agitation. It works really well
> in a JOBO with continuous agitation. Look at John Sexton's work.
>
> Even though I personally like Tri-X better (been using it for decades)
> learning to use Tmax is a necessity because that IS the B&W film that Kodak
> will continue to make for a v-e-r-y long time. Plus-X, Tri-X, APX, FP,
> Delta, etc, are all unknowns as far as longevity goes. And Tmax is made in
> all sizes from 35mm to 8x10, maybe even 11x14. While other films are
> disappearing, Tmax will stay the course.
>
> MHO,
>
> JB

Continuous agitation you can more than get by with with sheet film but
35mm roll film I'd say it's very much not advised.  Medium format is OK
agitating continuously as well. But I have slight doubts on that.
We're talking black and white normal film. Not C41 color neg or black
and white chromegic. Not E6 slides. Both of those are OK continuous in
any format. Roll or sheet.
35mm black and white regularly work is very critical and very depending
on the many advantages of continuous agitation.
Jobo's have been a boom for large format work and color work. Don't let
them spoil you when it comes to your black and white 35.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.)