Subject: RE:[Leica] Irwin and PhotoDo Will Only Lead You Into The Wilderness
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:49:24 +0100

>Every lens has its own unique qualities, it is not a matter of the 35
>Summicron is better than the 50 Summicron, that sort of comparison leads
>you nowhere.  To me, the only rational analysis is to begin from ones
>photographic interests and decide which lenses will best help you
>achieve your vision.  If one's photographic aesthetic is limited to
>producing negatives as sharp as measurably possible, than one should be
>looking into large format.
>
>Forget about Irwin's site.  Forget about PhotoDo.  Just about all modern
>lenses produced by reputable manufacturers will produce fine images on
>35mm film shooting hand held.  Ask yourself what kind of pictures you
>want to take, evaluate your shooting style, and balance your checkbook.
>However, I for one find it absolutely ridiculous to simply throw open
>the question of which among a gaggle of lenses are "the best," and
>expect other people to either tell you what to buy or confirm a
>reluctant expenditure.

One of the best mails I've ever seen in "any" list for years!

I own, and use, more than one hundred lenses all brands and formats and I
can back this! Every one has his strong points and his defaults and can, and
must, be used in a particular style of pictures. The obsession for
perfection is in my opinion, that, an obsession. Use whatever you wish or
you can, and enjoy it or, for pros, make money with it.

Regards

Felix