Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V26 #107
From: Brian Ampolsk <bampolsk@csc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:04:29 -0500

Daniel,  "bris" and "brit" are both correct.  Both end in the Hebrew letter
"taph".  The difference is that bris is ashkenazi(eastern European) and
brit(Spanish, now mostly mediterranean) is sephardi Hebrew.  Bris used to
be more common, but Sephardi Hebrew is spoken in Israel, so, except among
older people and ultra orthodox, brit is now more common.  By the way,
Bris/brit, does not mean circumcision.  It is actually a short hand for
"Brit mila" which is the "covenant of circumcision".  Brit, actually means
coventant and is used in many other contexts.

Hope that helps.

Brian