Subject: [Leica] A new lens for the R? What's going on here?
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:53:44 -0500

I was perusing the Leica web site and I see that they have just introduced a
28 mm - 90 ASPHERIC f2.8-4 zoom.  I remember thinking that when they brought
out the 21-35, they were only about 8 years behind the times.  This lens
really surprises me.  It's obviously a tour de force in optical design.  The
MTF data is so typically great (although there is some real funky field
correction going on....)  , the only question that comes to mind is WHO IS
GOING TO BE AROUND TO BUY IT?  One can imagine that it won't be
inexpensive....on the other hand, the old 28-70 wasn't exactly a stellar
performer.  It looks like they are making their investment in the SLR line
to complement the new digital back, but they are going to have make 14 /f2.8
that works with it as well.  I own a few "R"s and I use them in really rough
weather (at least the 6 and the 7) , but the only time I've actually seen an
R8 being used was by a rich German Tourist in Bryce Canyon.  That was an odd
day because I also met a German Pro who used R6.2's and 7's exclusively.
Two "R" users in a single day....very rare.  I was using my F100 and M6 .

I'm heartened that Leica made the investment in a new lens for the R line, I
hope that they see some return..... Now about that 90mm Macro for the M
series....what the hell were they thinking?

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.- A GretagMacbeth Company
25 Nashua Rd.
Londonderry, NH 03053

Replies: Reply from "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> ([Leica] Re: A new lens for the R? What's going on here?)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] A new lens for the R? What's going on here?)