Subject: [Leica] Re: A new lens for the R? What's going on here?
From: "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:03:45 +1100

tlianza writes:

> I was perusing the Leica web site and I see that they have just introduced a
> 28 mm - 90 ASPHERIC f2.8-4 zoom.  I remember thinking that when they brought
> out the 21-35, they were only about 8 years behind the times.  This lens
> really surprises me.  It's obviously a tour de force in optical design.  The
> MTF data is so typically great

I too was surprised: by two things, one the lens came on the Leica site and
no one mentioned it on the LUG (too many posts on the DL2) and surprised
that it was made "at all". Its a lens I will be looking for if the price is
"right" or if I'm feeling in need of retail therapy. I have been using my R8
more and more lately, and it keeps feeling better and better, and the
results keep getting better too. It had a good workout in Antelope canyon
and Horseshoe bend with the 15 and 21 to 35 and I was once again "rapt" in
its "flash" performance at a recent wedding. I know everyone is diving from
the R series, but they are great cameras for those of us who use them --
long may there be a niche market.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com