Subject: RE: [Leica] Film is not dead!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:19:14 -0500

While I am certainly one of the people who believe that digital is both
the present and future of photography, I also believe that film of one
sort or another will be around for the bulk of our life-times -
depending on our ages - and I hope to keep shooting it for part of the
professional work I do. However - I don't think the fact that there are
more than one billion film cameras out there tells us much of anything.
In the first place, am I not correct in believing that disposable
cameras are counted in the billion cameras? And, even if I'm wrong about
that, once a camera is sold, it is "out there in the world;" that
doesn't mean it continues to be used - it may well be sitting on a
shelf, supplanted by whatever digital it's owner has purchased.

BTW - Driving by a big Ritz here in Brookline yesterday I noted all
sorts of window signage advertising the fact that they are a 'digital
photo center,' can produce prints from your cards, cads, etc., can give
you black and whites, etc. etc. So owning or not owning a computer has
really become irrelevant, in terms of the digital photo 'revolution.'

B. D.