Subject: Re: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:00:02 -0800

On 2003-12-21 msmall@infionline.net (Marc James Small) thoughtfully wrote:

>To be fair, Seth, BD is correct to so describe Arizona.  It is an
>oestensibly "Republican" state but one in which you cannot do anything
>without the let of an Administrative Law Judge.  For heaven's sakes, the
>Arizona authorities call in the EPA if a dealer sells a leaf-blower with
>questionable emissions.  (I have a friend who is the manager of such an
>operation and she was most upset to learn that no one in Virginia monitors
>such things -- as she points out, a bit bitterly, "weren't you guys a
>Democrat state until five or six years back?")

The air quality in the Phoenix area is becoming so bad that I can understand why they would do that! Never a fan of leaf blowers, and definately never a fan of 2-stroke engines, I'm all in favor of making darn sure that hand-held engines that produce more emissions than any current new car are rigorously controlled!

The degree of enforcement in air quality is tied to the pollution levels so if Virginia isn't past a certain level they won't trip some of the emissions controls. In this part of the central valley they have now instituted controls over wood-burning stoves and fireplaces and finally they have figured out that OUR pollution is in part being contributed to by what flows in from the Bay Area.

Adam Bridge