Subject: RE: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:03:57 -0500

Daniel,
Your country has interesting customs that you have well explained.

First, in most parts of the US, private property is just that, private.
I have been run off at almost gunpoint from some places in Texas.  I
wasn't threatened, but the 357/Ruger mini 14 was plainly visible.  Part
of this makes sense as in this country, if you are the landholder you
are at least partially responsible to completely responsible for what
happens on your land.  Meaning that if someone falls and breaks their
leg on your trail it could be your fault.  Different societies,
different rules apply.

As to the mall thing, one of our posters and your post hint at what is
going on in malls.  Some lawsuits and legal opinions have made the malls
less than private property.  Your example does in fact happen at which
point the patrons who actually spend money quit going to that mall and
the mall declines to oblivion.  Getting on my soapbox a bit, when
someone who doesn't pay the taxes, maintenance, power, and light bills
starts  to tell the group who does do the above how the property should
be used not good things happen.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Here in Sweden, when it comes to "allemansrätt", it means more or less
the
area of land around your house that have fenced in. Allemansrätt is a
"right", not a "law". It presupposes a certain amount of common sense
and
that presupposition has worked for a few hundred years.

Problems turn up when people from other countries without the same right
come here. They tend not to use common sense and do things that do
disturb
the owners' privacy. It's usually just a problem-in-passing. With time,
everyone gets a feel for it.

But this connection with malls with private property and the use of
arguments "if some comes into your home ..." don't really make much
sense
to me, or at least seem flawed.

Let's say, like Ted explains, that you want to do a special on the
Christmas holiday spirit at a mall. You have to get in touch with the PR
people as Ted explains and seems to feel that is the way it has to be,
out
of respect for their property.

Let's say the mall in in a posh outer suburb but that there are
communication lines with the inner-city scum so that they turn up at the
mall and bother these beautiful people out in the burbs. So the owners
of
the private property start barring certain elements from their malls.
They
hurt the neighborhood, so to say.

Now this would be news. Would the journalist have to go to the PR people
of the mall and ask their permission to do an article on racial
discrimination at the mall? I mean, I can envision families in certain
areas of the US who would not let a black man cross the threshold of
their
homes. That's their private choice. Do mall owners, since analogies with
the private home were being used, have the same rights to bar certain
non-wasps from their private property?

Now I would be able to understand if the malls charged admission and the
purchase of the admission ticket worked de facto as an acceptance of the
rules, a contract of sort. But that isn't the case, is it?

Best,
Daniel Ridigns
Lindome Sweden, Oslo Norway

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 frank.dernie@btinternet.com wrote:

> The definition of "a yard" varies greatly depending where one is from.
In England - at least the parts I have lived - the land attached to the
house is always refered to as a garden, however it is arranged. A yard
would assume concreted over or at least some sort of hard surface for
work use for example farm yard or builders yard. I have never heard the
word yard used in England to describe the land associated with the house
or the garden.
> cheers
> Frank
>
> >  from:    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?RUBEN_BL=C6DEL?= <ruben@rhodos.dk>
> >  date:    Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:24:17
> >  to:      leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> >  subject: Re: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > The "allemansrätt" is one of the best things of Sweden ! The only
part were I have encountered problems is the difinition of "a yard" -
most people,  many Swedes, think of a yard as something with trimmed
gras, flowers and a nice little white fence were I in my Little Torp
(very small hous in the woods in Sweden) love to have my yard growing
close to wild - does encounter some funny situations though most of the
time, people tend to hurry away if the see me walking around half nacked
with a weelbarrel - regards and happy christmas - ruben

> > Daniel Ridings wrote:
> >
> > >The whole idea of a public place ... because it is, anyone and
everyone is
> > >welcome to be there, can be subject to private whims and not the
same laws
> > >that govern other public places. My definition of public places is
not
> > >"somewhere financed by tax-payers' money".
> > >
> > >We had a similar discussion in Gothenburg. There is a movement to
publish
> > >high quality magazines. These are then given to people who would
otherwise
> > >be pan-handling. They sell them instead of begging.
> > >
> > >One "mall" or "private place" tried to run them off. I forget the
whole
> > >process (I knew it was so absurd to call a mall "private" that I
didn't
> > >even pay much attention).
> > >
> > >We have something in Sweden called "allemansrätt"
(every-man's-right). It
> > >is not possible to put up a sign "No trespassing". It's not a law,
it's
> > >just a tradition right going back as far as anyone can remember, at
least
> > >the 1500's.
> > >
> > >According to "allemansrätt" I may go out pick berries, mushrooms,
flowers,
> > >fallen limbs (to make wreathes, for example. You can't cut down a
tree,
> > >but you can take branches from trees that have already fallen) or
just
> > >walk around. I can do this as long as I do not disturb the privacy
of the
> > >owner ... that is, I can't walk into their yard and pick flowers,
but I
> > >can go anywhere else on their land. I can take pictures, I can
start small
> > >fires (with discretion), I can camp out all night on their land
without
> > >asking.
> > >
> > >To say I can't take a picture in a mall.
> > >
> > >Not only wierd, but pure stupidity. I wonder where that idea comes
from?

> > >Daniel

Daniel