Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Queen Mary 2
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:57:28 -0500

A great treat, Gerry, and many thanks. I entered the port of Southampton 25
years ago in Queen Elizabeth II, the last of the graceful transatlantic
liners, in S.S. France in 1964, in S.S. Statendam in 1960, and in S.S. Nieuw
Amsterdam in 1950. Sailed westbound from le Havre in 1950 on the maiden
voyage of S.S. Liberte (2d maiden of this ship, originally pre-WWII
Hamburg-American ship, I think the Bremen (?) calling at Southampton en
route for New York. Missed a call at Southampton in 1956 on a westbound
sailing in M.S. Andrea Doria.

One of the great joys of life was a transatlantic sailing, leisure, grace,
elegance, at a level that has disappeared from modern living, helas!, unless
one is truly rich. In the 50's and 60's one did not have to be rich (and I
was not!) to enjoy transatlantic ocean travel: my crossing in Statendam in
an excellent outside first class cabin cost under $300. Even in 1978, my
crossing in QE2 in a superb outside first class cabin that entitled me to
dine (one didn't "eat") in the Queen's Grill cost $1,600. and included a
return flight to New York in economy on British Airways. On my return, for
$400. I was permitted to upgrade to a BA Concorde flight; I did, certain
that unless a client were paying, I would never have another opportunity to
fly the Concorde. I was right.

QM 2 is an impressive ship; I cannot say she is a lovely ship. She lacks the
graceful lines of the traditional ocean liner, of which the Andrea Doria and
her sisters, Cristoforo Colombo and Leonardo da Vinci were perhaps the most
beautiful. While with QM2 (to my naval eye that looks suspiciously like the
designation of a quartermaster 2d class), there is a serious effort to
create a semblance of that appearance, she much more closely resembles the
modern-day box-like cruising ship that pervades passenger ship-building
today. It is an economic necessity in today's world: pack as many passengers
as reasonably possible into the smallest possible space while still
maintaining the appearance of spaciousness.

A former sea-farer myself, I share with you the emotions that her port entry
calls forth. Again thanks.

Seth          LaK 9