Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Queen Mary 2
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:04:25 -0800

Seth Rosner said:
>>> Beautiful daughter, gorgeous 4 1/2 year-old granddaughter and I are off
at
> the crack tomorrow for a four day New Year's package at the Chateau
> Montebello in western Quebec province, described by Fairmont, formerly
> Canadian Pacific, as the largest log cabin the the world. And it is.<<<

Seth mon ami,
And it is the largest log cabin hotel in the world, absolutely amazing with
the huge fireplace in the centre of the main hall that reaches up, I think,
four floors. And given it was basically all built by hand in 1930 it's a
truly amazing structure.

What a wonderful location to bring in the New Year, the Chateau Montebello!
Been there a few times myself, unfortunately never on R&R always assignment
of some kind.

The most interesting was as the official photographer to the G7 heads of
State meeting for the 1981 Summit when President Reagan passed around his
bowl of jelly beans to the other members as they sat around the big
conference table. :-)

And security? Like amazing with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the
American Secret Service and who knows who else, so I had security clearance
to meet God if you like.

So all these police officers had to know who I was and the first day even
before things got going I was challenged everytime I turned around because
of the 3 -4 Leicas hanging off me. They'd see the cameras and immediately
assumed I was media so they'd jump like tigers. However a meeting with the
senior officer in charge of the whole thing ended most of the problem. Also
the secret service guys all stopped talking into the sleeve of their suit
coats when I'd show up. . ;-)

For those of you who don't know what that means: The secret service guys had
tiny radios with a microphone threaded through their jacket with the
micrphone in their left hand and a hearing aid type thing plugged into an
ear for their internal comunication. And everytime you'd see these guys they
looked like they were talking up their sleeves.

Because I had free reign to go anywhere they were meeting I had several ID
pins on the lapel of my suit coat, even that caused a couple of over zealous
guys to hold me back the first day until they checked it out by, "Talking up
their sleeves." ;-) However, once cleared they apologized, but what the heck
they were doing their job and I just stood cool until they got the word.

Trust me this was not the place to get mouthy and waving your rights, other
wise I may still be deep in the hidden cellars of Montebello! ;-)

I know you'll have an absolutely wonderful time, so ring in the New Year
loud and clear with a single malt glass of cheer! :-)

ted

Message from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] OT - Queen Mary 2)