Subject: [Leica] Queen Mary 2: Filthy Lucre
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:24:33 -0500

At 02:57 PM 12/28/03 -0500, Seth Rosner wrote:
>A great treat, Gerry, and many thanks. I entered the port of Southampton 25
>years ago in Queen Elizabeth II, the last of the graceful transatlantic
>liners, in S.S. France in 1964, in S.S. Statendam in 1960, and in S.S. Nieuw
>Amsterdam in 1950. Sailed westbound from le Havre in 1950 on the maiden
>voyage of S.S. Liberte (2d maiden of this ship, originally pre-WWII
>Hamburg-American ship, I think the Bremen (?) calling at Southampton en
>route for New York. Missed a call at Southampton in 1956 on a westbound
>sailing in M.S. Andrea Doria.

To be fair, Seth, the costs for these runs are quite a bit expensive.

You trip on SS STATENDAM in 1960 cost, in 2002 dollars, $1780.94.

Your QE2 crossing in 1978 cost, in 2002 dollars, $4567.12.

The upgrade to the SST Concorde cost, in 2002 dollars, $1141.78.

We realize that the Concorde has now been, very foolishly, grounded, but
consider whether your trip on the QE2 was three times as nice as that on
the STATENDAM.  And, given that we can all obtain a jet flight to Europe
(yes, I know, eight hours of hell followed by two hours of REAL hell at
Heathrow) for $500, why should any sane person ever want to spend this kind
of money for transport?  And you claim that you are not "rich" but, for
most of us on this List, these kind of prices are simply unapproachable.

Heavens only knows what a tourist-class passage on the QM2 will cost but it
will probably be in the region of $7500 per person.

Yes, it is a grand experience but I can do better at any of a number of
local resorts (the Homestead, the Greenbrier, or Mountain Lake) for a LOT
less money.

Enjoy your wealth, Seth.  Most of us envy you to a degree.

Marc