Subject: [Leica] Re: Digilux 2 vs Panasonic LC
From: "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:55:31 +1100

Gary Williams writes:

> As someone who does not make a habit of bashing Leica, it pains me to
> say this but the new Digilux is nothing short of absurd.

As someone who rarely makes any comment, I am surprised that I am surprised
by the whinging which has accompanied the rumours of the Digilux 2. There
are one or two "sensible" comments by those who have handled the camera -- I
suspect I will find a "video" viewfinder less than easy to adjust to, but
please lets stop whinging about cost.

Part of this Leica disease is the horror one feels when price is mentioned.
Helen spent far tooooo much on my M6 and 35 asph. but I was delighted with
it and 7 years later it remains my favourite camera. I was amazed by the
cost of a Noctilux, but I eventually found the readies and bought a second
hand lens, I could never have imagined the the cost of the Super elmar or
180mm summicron, but both lenes are in the Firkin stable, both are
wonderfully made, both produce "unique" images and both were second hand. I
became adventurous and bought a new R8 and after Leica replaced it and gave
me a 5 year warranty, it has been flawless. I could buy it now for less than
half the price I paid, and I'm sure it would work just as well.

The cost of the new Digilux 1 was not absurd, but it was a bit "high", and
surprise surprise is now cheaper than I paid and doubtless remains the same
or better. The Digilux 2 will be expensive, the eventual price is determined
by the cost of development, production, distribution and the desired profit
of the company and its representatives.

To sell the camera, Leica will have to convince us that it has benefits over
its compeditors, otherwise the price will DROP and drop rapidly. I have no
idea, but the glass on the Digilux 2 looks far more "expensive" than on any
other P&S digital camera I've seen, and perhaps this is the reason the price
will be higher. I love my Leica glass, and iffff this is in any way the
equivalent of its analogue siblings then it is bound to be more costly than
the offerings made on most P&S cameras --- the real questions for me are
 ---- Do you need such wonderful glass in front of an otherwise unexciting
imaging "chain" and will it give better images? Is there any point in
quality in a age where most goods are worthless in 24 months? If the images
are no better then the improved "handling" alone will not allow many to
justify the extra cost and I like many will need to be convinced by the
viewfinder BUT I refuse to write off any product I have not seen, or give up
on a company which has survived in the optical market for many years BEFORE
the thing is even released.

If you want a 5MP camera and don't give a hoot about the lens in front of
the element stop whinging and buy one. If you find the lens is justified and
can afford it, buy the Leica and tell us all about it. If like me you would
like the D/LUX2 but remain scared by the cost BE PATIENT, and the cost may
well plummet into our "range" ;-)

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com
http://www.familyofman2.com