Subject: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@vif.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:16:27 -0500

Sonny wrote:

     "-5 C = Torontonians wear coats, gloves and wool hats.
    Calgarians throw on a t-shirt.

    -15 C = Quebecers begin to evacuate the province.
     People in Saskatchewan go swimming."

I deeply resent the suggestion that Quebeckers -- when it comes to winter -- are
quitters. Given that La Belle Province's territory extends northwards to latitude 63
degrees N. (where one finds the lovely hamlet of Ivujivik, pop. 275), it's safe to
claim that my countryfolk are among the toughest winter survivors ever. My wife's
grandpa, age 93, spent three days last week hunting and fishing and sleeping in a
tent, all at well below zero. No wimps need apply here, not with -45 and dead calm
(real northerners don't mention that namby-pamby wind-chill hooey.)
:-)
Emanuel Lowi
Montreal.

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches)