Subject: [Leica] Re: Assistance on a Camera Bag / Crumpler anyone?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 05:19:00 +1100

On Thursday, January 8, 2004, at 12:59  AM,
Marty Deveney <sealpup@sharkattacks.com> wrote:

> velcro is amazingly loud, they are bulky for their capacity and
> they are not in any way unassuming or easy to hide.

> Crumplers protect my gear from thumps, bumps and other
> insults better than other bags.  They are secure enough that
> no-one could steal anything from them without the owner
> noticing (as long as you close it properly).  They look good,
> are dirt resistant and are easy to clean.  They seal well so
> sand, sea salt and other crud does not get into your rangefinder
> mechanism or other sensitive equipment.

FWIW, here's another vote in favour of the Crumpler bags.

Some things others have missed so far:

o  The strong/loud velcro can be worked around by simply removing
     it!  Just unpick the stitching which attaches it to the inside of
the
     main flap.   Easy to do with a scalpel or hobby knife.  No more
velcro
     to fight, no loud "R-R-R-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-P-P-P-P!!!!" every time you
open
     the bag.

o  I cut the shoulder strap off mine and had 50mm stainless-steel
     D-rings stitched on instead (by a backpack repairer).  Now I can
     use any damn strap I like! (usually the Portabrace HB-40).

o  As for the roughness of the Cordura material - yes it's rough, but
     I've found that it only applies to the black material.  Other
colours
     (I also have a electric-blue bag) are much smoother to the touch.

I have two of these bags, a "Roll-o-Notes" and the smaller, more
camera-bag-like "Budgie Smuggler".  As Marty pointed out, they're
practically indestructible, well-padded, weather-proof and don't
scream "here comes another bloody photographer to invade your
precious privacy and steal your soul".

Also the bags don't look nothing like the effeminate man-bags
otherwise known as "Billingham Hadleys" and, at least here in
Aust., are half the price.   :?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
Blue Mountains  NSW   Australia