Subject: Re: [Leica] new picture story
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:40:40 -0800

Liam Maloney showed:
Subject: [Leica] new picture story

> Finally, some new work to show y'all:
> > www.leica-gallery.net/getcloser/folder-6099.html
>
> Montreal's first blind theatre production, "Dancing to
> Beethoven", December 2003. I have been working on a
> project called "Backstage"; this series came out of
> that project. In showbiz, there's often more quiet
> drama behind the scenes than there is in the
> spotlight.<<<

Hi Liam,
Well done mon ami, first class available light photography. Isn't it great
to be in a location like this quietly capturing motivating moments as you
see them happening? Certainly without being questioned and hassled, allowing
you the concentration of seeing and recording what's going on totally
un-impeeded.

Many years ago when shooting documentaries for the National Film Board it
was great to be in all kinds of industrial, education, theatre, hospital,
military,  you name it and I did it. No fuss, no hassles, no public
relations watch dog looking at every move you made, it was a wonderful time
to be a photojournalist compared to now.

Anyway that was then, this is now, but it's still great to shoot freely if
you have the right subject. You the theatre where you're trusted by behind
the scenes people to work quiety and without interference. Looks like you've
got a good personal photo project and ceratinly good material, so stay with
it.

Liam also said:
> sidenote: before I started shooting this assignment, I
> had some time to kill so I hung out in the photography
> section of the local bookstore and read Ted's great
> book "Doctor's Work" (I think that's what it's
> called). Strongly recommended, the man's a master! I
> think I learned a few lessons in painting with light -
> you be the judge.<<<

Thank you for taking the time to look at "Doctors' Work,"  I very much
appreciate your most kind remarks. :-) One can't receive better praise than
from another photojournalist.
ted