Subject: [Leica] Re:bw with Epson 2200...follow-up
From: "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:12:33 -0600

Lea,

Printing B&W on the Epson 2200 is a challenge with the Ultrachrome inks. The
Matte Black ink with Matte papers does the better job, but you still have to
deal with color shift under different lighting situations. Printing Black
only is one way to get around it. Right now I'm printing at a 2.2 Gamma, +2
Brightness(LCD screen here), +1 contrast, -2 magenta(gets the magenta out),
1440dpi, high speed turned off.

I've used this method for over a year and I get good results. Under tungsten
lighting, there is hardly a color shift, in daylight the print looks
slightly green, but who goes outside to look at all their prints?

This year I'm going to get ImagePrint 5.5 to use as a RIP. I've heard
nothing but good reviews with this software. MAC and PC users.Also, for the
B&W printing, I'm going to get another Epson 2200 and install Septone Inks.
I have samples of the Septone prints and they look 100% better than trying
the Ultrachromes for B&W.

The "flaking off" of Matte ink on matte papers may be due to the first few
prints after changing from Photo Black to Matte Black. It will take a couple
prints to work out the Photo Black. Same thing if you used Matte and then
switched to Photo Black when printing on Pearl or Glossy paper.

I agree, the Ilford Pearl is excellent. We cannot keep this paper in stock
in New Orleans, sells out every week.

Hope any of this helps,
Chris
New Orleans