Subject: Re: [Leica] under vs. over exposed
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:33:48 -0700

People's grasp of what constitutes over and under exposure has been
rather startling. Let's make it simple shall we?

A certain amount of light is required to achieve a properly exposed
film.

If the film receives less light it is called under exposure.
If the film receives more light it is called over exposure.

Over exposed negatives are dense or dark and it is difficult to get any
details in the highlights
Underexposed negatives are thin or light and it is difficult to get any
detail in the shadows

Over exposed slides are thin or light and it is difficult to get any
detail in the highlights
Underexposed slides are dense or dark and it is difficult to get any
details in the shadows

Note that while the "look" is opposite from negative film to slide
film, the effect is the same

ISO 50 film is considered slow and requires a relatively large amount
of light to get a good exposure
ISO 3200 film is considered fast and requires relatively little light
to get a good exposure

So an ISO 100 film which receives the amount of light to properly
expose an ISO 3200 film will be under exposed. As the film used was
slide film, it will be very dark with no shadow detail. As a matter of
fact, it was so far underexposed I doubt there will be any mid tone
detail either. Toss the roll unless you just want to satisfy your
curiosity...

John Collier