Subject: RE: [Leica] New kiev Contax image
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:21:02 -0500

Wade,

The range finder is more accurate, longer base, and it is a range finder-view finder in one, don't have to move your eye back and forth with the normal lens. You still have to use an auxiliary finder for
wides or teles, BTW their variable turret finder is much better than the Leica VIOOH finder. Shutter speeds are all on one dial, although you do loose 1 second, but thats no biggie. Lenses are bayonet
mount and thus are faster to change. In addition to the Russian lenses, most of which are quite good, you can use the German Zeiss Contax lenses and some of the Nikon rangefinder lenses. Loading
is easier as the entire back comes off, and you don't have to cut the leader. The down side, the bodies are larger and a bit heavier, you have to be careful not to block the rangefinder window, in all
but the last models the takeup spool can be easily dropped. All in all however the positives outweigh the negatives. Oh and some of the models ( 3, 3a, 4, and 4m) have built in meters, not very good in
low light but fine in most daylight situations.

Neal F