Subject: RE: [Leica] New kiev Contax image
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:43:33 -0500

>> The range finder is more accurate, longer base, and it is a range finder-
>> view finder in one, don't have to move your eye back and forth with the
>> normal lens.

>The Fed 2 is the same.

>hutter speeds are all on one dial, although you do
>> loose 1 second, but thats no biggie.

>The Fed 2 is the same here.

>>Lenses are bayonet
>> mount and thus are faster to change.

>Make sense.

>>In addition to the Russian lenses,
>> most of which are quite good, you can use the German Zeiss Contax
>> lenses and some of the Nikon rangefinder lenses.

>And I can use Leica, Canon, Nikon and VC screw mounts.

>> is easier as the entire back comes off, and you don't have to cut the
>> leader.

>Ah yes.  The Fed 2, however is the same.

>> models ( 3, 3a, 4, and 4m) have built in meters, not very good in
>> low light but fine in most daylight situations.

>That is interesting.   I've read that these are not worth using and cannot
>be counted on at all.  If this were untrue, I would definitely be
>interested.

>Note that in several cases my Fed 2 has the same advantages as the Kiev - I
>was just checking too see if I'd missed anything.

>w a d e  h e n i n g e r
>i n t e r a c t i o n  d e s i g n

Wade,

I'm not that familiar with the later FED's or Zorkie'S for that matter, so they may have well addressed some of the LTM problems in those models. If the Kiev's meter is functioning it is handy you have
to check this out first as many are no longer functional. The build quality of the Kievs is quite good even on the later ones where the quality went down. Some of the earlier model 2 and 3 cameras
rival the original Contax in quality, they were made on the same machinery taken from the Dresden plant after the war. Some of the "experts" that I have read about the Kiev Contax rate it as the
best of the Soviet cameras, for what that is worth.

Neal F