Subject: Re: [Leica] processing temp in XTOL
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:26:45 -0800

Adam Bridge asked:
> I've always processed Xtol at 68.
> But I'm going to be processing some 1:3 dilutions and wonder if going up
> say 75 wouldn't speed things up.
> But if it does speed up the processing will it have a negative effect?
> I'm not sure about the tradeoffs.
> I read (here) that TMAX developer likes 75 better than cooler temps. What
>about XTOL?<<

Hi Adam,
The reason for souping Tmax film at 75 degrees in Tmax developer is due to
the viscosity of the liquid developer as it adheres to the film for better
action at the higher temperature.

Right or wrong explanation but that's what a Kodak tech advized me to do not
long after Tmax developer was available for Tmax film. And I have always
used that temp and 6 minutes souping time. It's always worked for me so I've
always stuck with it.

So when I switched back to Tri-x last year using XTOL I continued to soup at
75 degrees. It cut down the souping time a little and seemed to produce
beautiful negs whether I shot Tri x at 400 or 800.

I've not seen any negative aspects at this temperature as the negs print
well with a Leica enlarger in wet tray or scanned and 2200 dry printed. I
suppose some of the technical astute folks may argue with my method, that's
their prerogative. But it's worked for me through experience this year and
roughly 700 rolls of Tri-x so who am I to argue. ;-)

I soup 1:1 @ 75 for 8 minutes with the film rated at ASA 800. Full agitation
for the first 30 seconds and three easy inversions of the film tank every 30
seconds until done.

ted