Subject: RE:OT [Leica] Nikon RF 85/2 Lens - User Experience
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:07:48 +0100

>No, and yes.  The AF 85/1.4 Nikkor has internal focusing, the AiS does not.
>The AF has nine elements in eight groups, the AiS has seven elements in
>five groups (even if several Nikon sites say it has seven elements in nine
>groups!?).  Clearly a different design.  The results are very similar.  In
>extreme tests the AF has some colour fringing and the AiS a little
>distortion and is softer at the edges.  Depending on what you do the
>softness might be an advantage.  The AF is sharper if you like taking
>pictures of little B&W lines and developing for acutance.  People argue
<about this, of course.

As per my experience the AIS is better closing the diaphragm and AF is
slightly better full open. Both are impressive lenses with excellent output.
Bokeh may be discussed but overall I like them very much.

Felix

PS I compared, in real life, these lenses with Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 and
couldn't find an important difference, but you know I am not impressed by
names.