Subject: [Leica] Report on Walgreen's Fuji Digital Printer
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:21:52 -0500

Ok... here's the dirt on the 20 cent Walgreen's reprints.  I did 243 of
them over two days (someone actually walked in and did 350 today, they
told me).

Their machine takes CD, SD/xD, CF, and Smartmedia.  I would strongly
suggest making a CD of only files you want to print and selecting the
print-all function, because the preview software is a real pain in the
arse.  As in manually scrolling, one frame at a time, through the CD
from end to end.  The simplest thing to do is to weed first and "print
all once."

Printing is 300 dpi for 4x6 and 6x8 (don't quote me, but I saw the
manual and it said 1205x1595 for 4x6 prints).  The Fuji printing unit
uses a UV-fixed thermal color printer (that was in the book too).
Absolutely no idea how that works, but it doesn't involve ink.

In black and white, the prints are good - much better in tonality and
sharpness than getting your 135 negs printed on an RA-4 minilab using
that chromogenic black and white paper.  Prints have something of a
brownish sepia tone and look like they are doing at least 32 different
shades of grey, more than I can say for the RA-4 paper.

No idea what the archival life is - I am using them to make proofs from
hundreds of scanned 6x4.5 negs - and I could care less.

Problems - occasional streaking (cold heads?); grainy blown out skies
can look pretty bad.

Holds detail well in highlights and shadows.  Definitely not FB paper,
but for 20 cents and no mess... well, you can live with it.

Print time is about 60 seconds for the first; 10 seconds for each
additional.

Frontier seems to be a little better, but around here, it's six times
the cost per reprint.  And there are no Frontier machines available at
11pm.