Subject: Re: [Leica] More Digilux 2 images
From: Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:19:13 +0100

Hello Ted,

I think I see barrel distortion a bit in the second picture and a lot in
the third picture.
Distortion is when straight lines look bend in the picture. If they bend
inwards it is pincushion distortion, when they bend outwards it is
barrel distortion. This type of distortion is very hard to correct in
zoom lenses. In the wide range you have barrel distortion that changes
to pincushion distortion in the tele range. It does not disapear when
the lens is stopped down.
You probably were never very aware of distortion because quality lenses
are well corrected. One exception is the Leica 28-70, that is so bad in
this respect that I sold it as fast as I could.
Nice thing of digital images is that you can correct these distortions.
Don't ask me how because I don't know, I also use high quality lenses:-)

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema