Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: [Large Format] Beth Keiser Shoots B&W 4x5 ForCampaign Coverage
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:12:28 EST

In a message dated 1/30/04 4:42:09 PM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< Let me make a prediction - Five years from now the 90 elmar will,
comparatively, be worth what a used DSLR is today. It's been saddly
apparent for some time that the days of planning to get ones money out
of used Leica equipment have passed. And five years from now, used film
equipment will be a real glut on the market. This is not to say that you
shouldn't buy the lens; if it's what you want to shoot with, buy it! But
do not think of it in terms of what you can later recoup.

B. D. >>

can someone do the math for me?

a 5 year old dslr is what, a canon 1?  and 5 years ago you would have bought
it for.....what $4K.  and it's worth now about...what $500?   And an 90 elmar
new is what $1500....so it will be worth $175 or so in 5 years?

I don't know the real numbers but if this is true then happy days are here
again.  Because unlike the worthless 5 year old piece of plastic, chips, wires
and other techno snot (otherwise known as a dslr), the elmar or noctilux will
actually be useable for many years to come.

kim

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] digital in low light)
Reply from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: digital in low light)