Subject: [Leica] Was large format... now equipment rant
From: "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:52:18 -0800

B.D.

My problem is I never know how much I'll use a lens until I actually own it.
Honestly, I could get by owning a 50 only. And I might be better off than
owning a whole line of lenses. For a while I only used a 35/1.4 ASPH. Then I
started using a 28/2.8 and 50/1.4.

A year-and-a-half ago one of my 2 M6's was stolen, along with a 90, out of
the trunk of my car. I replaced it with some Nikon AF lenses (Nikon instead
of Canon because I once used Nikon and I still had some equipment). I bought
everything planning to get a Nikon digital body. I didn't like the D100. I
borrowed an S2. I didn't feel comfortable using it. Don't know if that's
because it was borrowed, or I just didn't like it. I recently used a D2x for
a day. Don't want to settle now for a D100/S2 type body. But neither do I
want to spend $3K plus.  So I'm using AF D Nikkors on an FM2...because I
can.

I'm beginning to think the digital is just a distraction for me. My passion
is, and has always been, shooting and printing b/w. Nothing digital inspires
me in that arena like Leica. B/W photography, including darkroom work
because I think it's all inclusive, takes patience and fortitude to get
results. Success can be elusive, but when it comes it's ever so sweet. And
even then, it's not perfect, meaning you can spend a lifetime learning and
refining the craft.

Taking quick pics is a different story. Digital works for that. Again, it's
fun, but it distracts me from the bigger picture.

Dave