Subject: RE: [Leica] Fw: [Large Format] Beth Keiser Shoots B&W 4x5 ForCampaign Coverage
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:44:25 -0500

I'm dropping in in the middle of this...so if I'm missing or repeating a
point that's already been made, forgive me...;-)

I have to say that the one thing I don't understand in all this
discussion is the assumption that one must constantly trade-up with
digital SLRs...Yes, the technology will improve; yes, the sensors will
improve. But as has been pointed out here at numerous times in the past,
the question is not what's technically 'best' and available, but what
works for you, for your needs - and the 'you' is generic, Frank.

For most people on this list, a current 'pro/am' Nikon, Canon - or
Olympus - DSLR will give you more capability than you need. And it will
last for a long time, because the equipment is well made. Leica made?
No. On the other hand, there are plenty of non-Leica cameras still alive
and kicking after 5-10-15-40 years.

Give up film? Why, if you don't want to. But you are really missing
something if you don't dip your toes in pixels...Just don't buy the
cheapest pixels you can find and then complain that digital is crappy -
go for a Canon 10 D, Nikon D100, Olympus E-1, or equiv, and play!

B. D.