Subject: Re: [Leica] digital in low light
From: Will von Dauster <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:43:33 -0700

Hi All,

I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say that at least Canon
digital (a 10D in my case) outperforms film in low light. I recently
shot a group photo of members of the Lab where I work in available
light - not really low light, actually - with the 10D set at ISO 800.
With the intent of using film for the final product, I switched the
20mm Canon lens to a film body and shot the same scene with Fuji Press
800. See a very small version of the shot set-up at
http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/.

There was no comparison.

The digital file was superior in every respect to the scanned (Nikon)
film images.

Since that day late last Summer, I have not shot a complete roll of
film. Even for my non-professional work - which surprises me, a
professional Leica user these last 15 years, and amateur Leica user
since 1967.

The results I've seen from the 1Ds are breathtaking at 11 MP, btw.

Will von Dauster

Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] digital in low light)