Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Shutterbug Magazine - Time to let it go..
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:47:07 -0800

At 11:00 PM -0700 1/31/04, Tim Atherton wrote:
>  > Maybe I am a bit confused, I was speaking of "Black and White
>>  Photography"
>>  when referring to B&W
>>  There is a different brit mag called "B&W" ?
>
>Yes, in N America there is Black & White magazine, a usually fairly boring,
>slightly stuck up magazine with lots of glossy ads for wanabe Ansels and
>Westons. It has an occasional interesting article but most don't make it
>worth the cover price imo. It more often seems concerned with the photo
>dealer market in either old, slightly obscure photographers from the past,
>or contemporary ones who are still taking the same old pictures (even if the
>are technically very proficient in doing so) There was a good one on Jock
>Sturges a good few issues ago, and the current one has an interesting
>article on Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee, champions of Azo and stockpilers
>of Super XX... It's also very well printed.
>
>The other is a British one called Black & White magazine which is generally
>more interesting. Has a wide range of articles on different topics to do
>with B&W - eg films, LF, photographers profiles and portfolios from both
>sides of the Pond, both well known and up and coming, the odd classic camera
>piece, sometimes reportage type photo essays or projects. Generally a pretty
>good balance of info, equipments, technique and actual work. It doesn't make
>it to the newsstand up here, so I only get to see a copy when my Dad sends
>over a couple of his old, well thumbed ones.
>
>tim a

Thanks Tim; you said what I meant. I only looked at "B&W magazine" on
the newsstand once or twice, and somehow had assumed it was also
British. The "Black and White Photography" magazine, the British one,
is the one I like.

They should have named the one that came out later "White & Black" or
something, so the whole issue doesn't seem so grey.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com