Subject: RE: [Leica] MP vs. M7
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:03:27 -0800

At 3:43 AM -0800 2/1/04, Mark Theken wrote:
>Being fortunate enough to own and use both cameras,
>for me, this choice is very much like that between a
>manual or automatic transmission in the car we drive.
>I think the automatic transmission has much greater
>appeal for most people but those amongst us that must
>shift gears would never consider otherwise.
>Ironically, we usually arrive at the same time!

When going forward you generally arrive at the same time; when going
in reverse (rewinding) the MP tends to be slower - unless you ante up
for the accessory.

I like the look of the MP better (slightly), but operationally, I
like the M7. The M7 works extremely well as a manual camera, but the
MP functions very poorly as an AE camera.

With car transmissions, automatics generally don't work as well as
manuals, in that they suck engine power, result in poorer fuel
mileage and (most significantly) often leave you in the wrong gear at
the wrong time. I'm anxious to try the Volkswagen DSG transmission,
since this one seems to finally deliver on the promise of the
automatic that also works well in manual. Maybe the equivalent of the
Leica M7, finally.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design