Subject: [Leica] Re: How much should I charge?
From: "Dean" <dean@tbc.t-com.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:27:08 +0900

Hey!

Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net> wrote:

> Folks:  It's happened.  People are starting to ask for prints...
> ...So what should I charge?

Me, I charge people I like what I would be earning otherwise if I was doing
overtime at work. I also figure that it takes me a while and I loose enough
time that it means a whole day of lost overtime (I am lucky, and in my job
the overtime is pretty much there for the asking). So, I charge one day of
overtime. Plus everything (and I mean everything) I use, paper, chemicals
(in my case), water, power, etc. I figure that why should I spend my free
time doing something for someone, when I could otherwise be filling it up
earning money. I take the view that doing this for people is costing me
money that I am not earning.

For people I don't like I charge double.

I guess what I am saying is that one approach is to figure out what your
free time is worth to you and charge accordingly. One way to do this is to
compare it to what you would earn if you were working during that time.

Another approach is to barter. One time, the vocalist girlfriend of I guy I
once shot arranged a small exhibition of some music/musician prints of mine
in a kinda famous jazz club here in Tokyo for me, and in return I shot one
of her concerts for her. That worked out well for all concerned.

Hope this is of some help.

Sooner,
Dean Johnston

Replies: Reply from "Keith R. Wessel" <keith@wbalaw.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: How much should I charge?)