Subject: [Leica] Harris' Hawk
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:00:53 -0800

California falconers met in Sacramento at the end of last month, and put
their birds and their sport on display to the public.  I saw this as a way
to give my "new" 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt a workout:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/haha00.jpg

When the slides came back I was glad I had pulled some Kodachrome 25 out of
the freezer.  This lens can put a PHENOMENAL amount of info on the film.
I'll post more photos in a few days - keep in mind when looking at these
photos that these are CAPTIVE birds.  There's no way I'd get this close
otherwise.  The birds were on display on their low perches, a foot or so off
the ground, and the group was protected from the public by a chain link
fence.  To avoid high camera angles I made my photos through the chain-link
fence, using Ted's trick of putting the lens right up to the wire and using
a wide aperture.  As long as the wires in the lens' field of view weren't
sunlit, they were completely invisible.

Technical stuff: Leicaflex SL, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R, Kodachrome 25,
shoulder stock & monopod.  Exposures were about 1/125 sec @ f/5.6.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com