Subject: Re: [Leica] National Air & Space Museum - Dulles Annex (Noct images)
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:08:18 -0800

> The new building has a much darker interior than I was expecting, and has a
> variety of different temperature light sources, so be prepared for oddly
> colored images.  I found all of my shots fell between 1/60th and 1/30th @
> f/1.0 to f/1.4, all taken with 100 speed chrome film (Ektachrome E100GX,
> Velvia 100F and Provia 100F).  The 50 is a bit long for some of the
> aircraft, but a 35 or 28 would likely be perfect.  Remember that tripods are
> *NOT* allowed, should you decide to go.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Noct/Dulles/index.htm

Wow! Thank you very much, Mitch, for your report. I'm sending it along to my son
who lives outside DC.

This is a weird reaction but  -  they almost look like scale models in your
photo and I don't know why I have that reaction. Maybe there's something about
the light or the reflection off the canopies or something.

Love the SR-71 sled photos. I vividly remember the first time I saw one. I was
driving with the top down in the late morning on US 50 a bit of east of
Sacramento when I heard these engines. I was north of (then) Mather AFB and saw
the '71 climbing out after a touch and go. It did a loop around the field, shot
another touch and go and then headed back toward Beale AFB. I literally pulled
off to the side of the freeway to just WATCH. It was a typical late-spring
California day: vivid blue sky, no clouds, the aircraft startlingly black
against the sky.

Truly it ranked right there with the first time I saw the Blue Angles (I was
five and we watched from the roof of my uncles home just north of Vandalia -
they were flying the beautiful swept-wing Grummans) and driving across North
Dakota and having a B-52 pass overhead going about 500 MPH and about 200 feet
off the ground.

Good photos evoke reactions. Yours sure must be good!

Oh - for those who can - check out the Air Force Museumm at Wright-Patterson
outside of Dayton, Ohio. I vividly remember the B-70.

Adam