Subject: Re: [Leica] Twinkies in the Operating Suite
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:02:08 -0800

Buzz Hausner said:

> I dunno, Steve, I can just imagine popping any kind of peripheral signal
> in the operating room and having the surgeon plant a lancet right
> between one's eyes.  I don't know much about surgery, but I know a great
> deal about surgeons and I can't see one abiding flash...except maybe the
> ring flash on behalf of the photographer from the pathology
> department...excess sound, or any other distraction.<<<

Hi Buzz,
I suppose because I've always believed, "if you can see it you can shoot
it." Using flash in the O.R. was never a consideration because it's like
shooting in daylight "most of the time." But then there's times when a good
Noctilux comes in handy for mood stuff. ;-)

>I have had first hand reports on Ted and Sandy's work in the O.R. and the
surgeons report
> that you would never know they were present at all.<<<<<

And as it should be whether in the O.R. or anywhere.

Right from the first operating room assignment my fear was not to disturb
the guy doing the fixing up, because if you did, your privilege of getting
in the door would be revoked and you'd be in the hall right quickly.

It's be quiet, be careful, stay alert to everything around you, whether it's
the first time or 40 years later. One mistake and you will likely be in the
hall faster than you can spit. And trust me with a surgical mask on you
really don't want to spit! So be careful. ;-)

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited

DOCTORS' WORK.
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant