Subject: RE: [Leica] rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls
From: Tim Atherton <timatherton@theedge.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:52:19 -0700

> A photograph of a street is not "street photography".
>
> Jerry

on the contrary - A photograph of a street is not necessarily "street
photography" - but it can be. There is a whole tradition of such work.

> If it was intended to be street photography, I would suggest that
> you look up the works of Jacob Riis.

Indeed there are many who would argue that Riis was primarily a social
documentary photographer and not a "street photographer" at all.

a photograph of people on the street is also, not necessarily, street
photography.

tim a