Subject: Re: [Leica] A few of my favorite things- 5
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:07:40 -0800

John Collier posted a Kyle Cassidy classic. :-)

CUT............
 > tourist: "this is a marvelous cathedral, i'm left speechless. do you
> come here every week?"
>
> woman: "yes, for forty years."
>
> tourist: "amazing, it must be very inspiring."
>
> woman: "oh yes it is, i never get tired of it."
>
> tourist: "my name's darth jones, i'm from cleveland."
>
> woman: "pleased to meet you, i'm mrs. furtnot. i've lived here since
> 1917 when we moved from alsas lorain. my whole family. mother, brother,
six
> dogs and a pig. i was 31 at the time i remember it as though it were
> yesterday."
>
> tourist: "so you know this town very well, you must. i love old churches
> like this. i'd really like to take a picture of it to show my friends at
> home. who should i ask for permission?"
>
> woman: "why, monsegnior blursplat, he's right over there, i'll introduce
> you.... monsegnior, this is mr jones, he's all the way from america."
>
> tourist: "fantastic place you have here. it puts my local church to
> shame."
>
> msgr: "why yes, we've been building it since the 5th century."
>
> tourist: "you're constructing it now? even today?"
>
> msgr: "yes, yes, we just added a ping-pong table and a cistern."
>
> tourist: "amazing. so it's been growing all this time?"
>
> msgr: "yes it has. we're very proud of it, it's the life of our little
> town."
>
> tourist: "i was just telling mrs. furtnot that i'd really like to take
> some pictures of the inside to show my friends at home. your church is
> spectacular."
>
> msgr: "of course, of course, mass is in session until 6:45, when that
> let's out, please let me show you some of the best places, and
> we'll get the sextant to let you up in the bell tower, you get a really
> beautiful view of the town from there. and if you can come back tomorrow
> afternoon around 3:30, that's when the light hits the stain glass
> windows
> and it's very spectacular."
>
> tourist: "do you mind if i bring my tripod?"
>
> msgr: "not at all, as long as it won't scuff the floor. say, is that a
> leica! i have six myself!"

> it really works & the ability to do it properly and enthusiastically is
> one key difference between a great photographer and a tourist with a
> roll of snaps...... access is nearly everything.....<<<<<

question in Kyle's message it points up being caring, quiet spoken,
inquisitive, complimentary and inte
Without rested in everything.......... A human being speaking with cream and
honey and sincerity!!! That's all it takes most of the time.

"As opposed to the loud mouth boisterous tourist yapping about how good
things are every place else and he doesn't have time to be screwing around
looking for someone to say Ok you can shoot here. And it doesn't matter
anyway I wont ever be back so if I piss off a few people who cares! Thunder
in the door flash flash and it doesn't matter if everyone is down on knee
praying. Hey I wont be back anyway so screw them. If someone gets ticked off
I'm outta here in two minutes cause I gotta get to the next town and piss
off a bunch more over there. And who cares anyway!!"

Then one of us turns up all innocent and quiet like with respect and
admiration, the big cathedral door is slammed shut, the key makes a
resounding CLICK! And we ask "why me? What did do?"

Done the cream and honey approach more times than I can remember and it
works 99.999999999999999999%  of the time. And if we show an honest interest
in other people and locations and we show that with humble conviction, then
it's just like Kyle says............

"> it really works & the ability to do it properly and enthusiastically is
> one key difference between a great photographer and a tourist with a
> roll of snaps...... access is nearly everything.....<<<<<<<<<<<

ted