Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Digital question
From: "Bill" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:25:00 -0500

I'll probably regret this but here goes.  If you have no digital desires,
quickly hit the DELETE key.

She Who Must Be Obeyed just returned from 9 days in Italy.  Because of the
nature of the trip, she only brought one camera, an Olympus E10.  She is
very happy with the results of this camera but got to wondering if there was
not something a bit smaller and perhaps more importantly, lighter.  Yes I
know, the M7 with a lens would be smaller and lighter but not as flexible,
and for these trips, she prefers digital anyhow.  An R would also be going
in the wrong direction, as would our Fuji S2, so the question is, has anyone
used a smaller camera that would produce as good an image as the E10?  I
know there are plenty out there with a higher pixel rating but that does not
always translate into better image as we all know.  Just by chance I
happened to be playing with the new Leica Digilux 2 on Friday.  Aside from
hurdle of the 1,850 tag, the Nintendo viewfinder annoys me and there is the
nagging question about others that may perform as well.  The new Canon G5
has received some good 'press' from folks that should know good from ok.
I guess what I'm attempting to do is narrow down the search using the
collective wisdom of those that have actually used a digital that they are
happy with the large prints from.  Preferably with an optical 4x or larger
zoom, a relatively fast lens, and hopefully an optical viewfinder.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bill